CONNECT Music Licensing administers licences in Canada for the reproduction of sound recordings, and the reproduction and broadcast of music videos on behalf of the copyright owners (usually the record companies). A licence from CONNECT Music Licensing ensures that owners receive compensation for the use of their sound recordings and/or music videos.
The Standard (All-in-One) DJ license:
DJ’s who copy music onto a hard drive source (Digital Program) using MPEG-3 or an equivalent form of compression, and make compilations on CD-Rs, Tapes, or Mini-discs, require this license.
Some terms of this license include:
- This licence is valid from the date of execution until December 31st of the same year (license fees are not prorated)
- You may copy music on MP3 or equivalent form of compression (not a higher form of compression)
- Copies can be made on any of the following recordable media: CDs, CD-Rs, cassettes, minidiscs, DATs, DVDs, memory cards and hard drives (external or internal), by means of which sound recordings may be reproduced
- You are allowed only one (1) hard drive source plus unlimited physical carriers (CDs, CD-Rs, cassettes, etc.)
- Licensee may retain one (1) back-up copy of their library, provided that the sound recordings are not performed in public
- This licence is non-transferable and is for your sole use of you and/or your company’s employees
- You may not sell or give away music compilations. The music is for LEASE only and are subject to recall at the end of the agreement or at CONNECT Music Licensing’s discretion
- You also have the option to create a sampler of 30 second clips to promote your business as long as you do not edit or alter the music in any way except to make the 30 second clip
- Recorded remixes or mash-ups are strictly prohibited, please contact the record labels directly for more information
- The programs are for use in the territory of Canada only
- CONNECT Music Licensing and the record companies are not obligated to provide the source music
- Your copies must be from the commercial product made by the record companies to assure quality
- Digital downloads from the internet are prohibited, unless from a CONNECT Music Licensing approved source
- CONNECT Music Licensing reserves the right to exclude certain songs as directed by the record companies (ex. restricted artists)
- As a CONNECT Music Licensing licensee, your display licence should accompany you to every event
The licence fee is $331.55 + GST/HST per system.
Single Event License: iPod Weddings
Copying music onto an iPod type device or burning custom CDs may be an option for a wedding reception. Buying a license will allow the client to make copies of copyrighted sound recordings for their event.
The licence fee is $50 per event.
Entandem is a joint venture between RE:SOUND and SOCAN created to simplify the licensing process so you can play all the music you want in your business legally and ethically, ensuring that those who made the music are compensated.
Venues are responsible for Entandem fees. The fees are based on 3 factors: how many months the room operates during the year, the room’s capacity, and how many days of the week the room is open for dancing.
Music Licenses in the USA
Simply put, they don’t exist. There are no unique licensing arrangements available to disc jockey or entertainment companies in the U.S. that would allow them to create multiple copies of recorded music libraries. Furthermore, record labels generally do not grant permissions that compete with the wholesale and retail products already in distribution. DJs are required to purchase their music through legitimate retail/wholesale channels or licensed subscription services.